WIC (Women, Infants, & Children)
Below is information provided by the RI Department of Health on eligibility and program details.
What is WIC?
WIC is a health program that offers nutrition advice and provides checks for healthy foods to Rhode Island families who qualify.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women
- New moms
- Babies and children up to age 5
What does WIC do for pregnant women?
WIC helps pregnant women be as healthy as possible during pregnancy, resting in healthier babies. Pregnant women who participate in WIC:
- Receive checks for healthy foods to support good nutrition during pregnancy
- Have babies with healthier weights
- Receive breastfeeding advice, making it easier to breastfeed their infants
Women can also ask WIC for referrals to help with quitting smoking, health insurance, dental care, or other concerns during and after pregnancy.
How does WIC support breastfeeding mothers?
WIC encourages mothers to choose breastfeeding as the healthiest option for their babies. For mothers who choose to breastfeed, WIC provides:
- Practical advice (for example, how to position the baby and manage a feeding schedule)
- Breast pumps to eligible mothers to make it easier to breastfeed when they return to work or school
- Additional foods to keep mothers healthy
- Iron-rich foods that breastfeeding babies need starting at 6 months
WIC also provides checks, nutrition advice, and other services for new mothers, babies, and children up to age 5. Fathers, grandparents, or foster parents with young children may apply for WIC as well.
Who is eligible for WIC?
Family Income before Taxes
If your family size is: You can earn up to:
- 1 person $386 a week
- 2 people $519 a week
- 3 people $652 a week
- 4 people $785 a week
- 5 people $918 a week
- 6 people $1,051 a week
Remember, your unborn baby counts as a family member.
If your income changes each week, you may still be eligible for WIC. Call the RI Department of Health Information Line (toll free) at 401-222-5960 (English & Spanish) to see if your family qualifies.
Meeting Street is an approved WIC provider. Our WIC office is located at our main South Providence campus.